Management of the Svalbard reindeer, which is only found in Svalbard, is an all-Norwegian responsibility. I had never heard of this before. A team of researchers from the Norwegian Polar Institute (NPI) have completed their annual survey of reindeer populations on Svalbard, and the results are not good. Reindeer for sale as breeding stock, business attractions and pets. This freezes on top of the snow and prevents the reindeer from reaching food. With legs that are short and stocky, a short neck, a small head, tiny ears and a stout body, they’re perfectly equipped for the Arctic climate in Svalbard. A common saying in science is some variation of "correlation doesn't imply causation". The Arctic region is very vulnerable to even the minutest global temperature fluctuations. The researchers are worried that even though a population of small animals may do okay for a while, eventually there will be so much ice on the ground during winter that Svalbard reindeer will experience a dangerous population decline. In summer, the animals spend their time in small groups of three to five animals. That they are all wild, and can walk 5000 km in a year? It's interesting that the reindeer change their appearance so significantly. The Svalbard reindeer is the smallest subspecies of reindeer and has the scientific name. When winter arrives, reindeer are normally able to find plants such as lichens that survive beneath the snow. The tale is set in a parallel universe. He said that for the first time in recorded history, the average temperature for the year in Svalbard was poised to be around 0°C. Description: The Svalbard reindeer (or Spitsbergen reindeer) is the only reindeer species in Svalbard. In winter, Svalbard reindeer find vegetation in the snow using their hooves, but alternating freezing and thawing periods can create layers of impenetrable ice, depriving the reindeers of nourishment. This is probably as close as it'll get for me. To provide you with the best experience, cookies are used on this site. Most animals live for about ten years. There's always something interesting in nature to surprise and puzzle us! Some of the report's specific predictions included increasing air and water temperature, a shorter snow season, and increased rainfall. And not to mention, the Svalbardian Rudolf has a wonderful nose. I hope this species of reindeer continues to survive in spite of the weight loss. His classic poem entitled "A Visit from Saint Nicholas" was published in 1844. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on December 26, 2016: Thanks for adding this information, Suhail. They are beloved by many children for taking Santa around the world on Christmas Eve. Similar Images . Thank you for writing this, Linda. As a result of the lower nutrient availability, calves are miscarried or are born with a low birth weight. Explore {{searchView.params.phrase}} by color family And today, they can be found in the harshest corners of Svalbard, Le Moullec says. Hi, Marlene. At the same time, the weight of the reindeer has gradually decreased. The only reindeer that could be called tiny in comparison to the other kinds is the Svalbard one. The body mass of males is approximately 65 kg in spring and 90 kg in autumn, while female body mass is approximately 53 kg in spring and 70 kg in autumn. In 2019, a report created by the Norwegian Meteorological Institute and other organizations predicted that the temperature in Svalbard will continue to rise. She’s lying in the snow, grumpily. Some reindeer migrate in the spring. They live on the tundra or in woodland, depending on the subspecies. Thank you very much, Bill. September, Restaurant Rijpsburg and Icebreaker Bar Krasin, The Northern Lights forecast for Svalbard. Clement Clarke Moore is said to have been the first person to link reindeer with Santa Claus. Norway (solid red) and the Svalbard archipelago (red circle) in relation to the Arctic, TUBS, via Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 3.0 License. Reindeer shrinking in warming world from the ScienceDaily news service Retrieved from www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161212084646.htm, The IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) classifies the population of. Scientists have found that the increasing temperature in Svalbard has been accompanied by a decreasing weight in the local reindeer. It would certainly be different living in Longyearbyen compared to where I live now. TODAY ONLY! Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on January 22, 2017: Thank you! Quite impossible to believe that such extraordinary life is spontaneous evolution. Thanks for the great comment, Flourish. According to him, "Svalbard is a very good spot to show what's happening in the Arctic at the moment". I think that some of them look like Christmas reindeer, too. Male Svalbard reindeer begin the development of their antlers in April and drop them in November or occasionally in early December before Christmas arrives. Who names males Dancer, Prancer, VIXEN, and Cupid? The female Svalbard reindeer is an excellent candidate for the identity of Santa's helpers. Browse 3,560 reindeer antlers stock photos and images available, or search for reindeer antlers vector or reindeer antlers headband to find more great stock photos and pictures. The lead researcher in the reindeer study thinks that several factors are involved in the decreasing weight of the animals as the temperature rises, as described below. Your article offers much to consider. Thank you. The lights have arrived. Our dad lives at Svalbard Villmarkssenter, which is near by. The administrative center of the islands is located in the town of Longyearbyen. This ability allows them to see things that to us are often camouflaged by the blinding white snow. Svalbard reindeer are quite sedentary, however. Svalbard reindeer are survivors, but this study shows the real impact humans can have on their population. I hope they have a good future. The Svalbard reindeer (Rangifer tarandus platyrhynchus) is a small subspecies of reindeer found on the Svalbard archipelago of Norway.Males average 65–90 kg in weight, females 53–70 kg, while for other reindeer generally body mass is 159–182 kg for males and 80–120 kg for females. More people should read it - global warming is real. A knobby-kneed calf of the species stares down the camera with an irresistibly curious expression in this photo taken at Sundneset, Barentsøya, Svalbard, Norway. Svalbard is a breeding ground for many seabirds, and also features polar bears, reindeer, the Arctic fox, and certain marine mammals. In summer, the fur is generally brown on the back and grey on the rest of the body. The reindeer often look stocky—and sometimes fat—and have short legs. When, what to my wondering eyes should appear. Certifications: Customer Service: Registered herd with MN Board of Animal Health. Although the reindeer are decreasing in size, their population has doubled over the last twenty years. Thank you for commenting. Their story is a rare example of conservation success, for they are bounding back strongly throughout Svalbard. Nov 29, 2015 - Explore JEAN HEINRICH's board "REINDEER" on Pinterest. Somebody up there must have designed all creatures in detail, I'm sure! In fact, they have the same scientific name —Rangifer tarandus. It is a unique, relatively small subspecies. I'm watching the news closely. Yes, the rising temperatures are causing some serious problems. Females form their new antlers in June and generally keep them until the next June. Most grass growth in Svalbard occurs in June and July. Research Group in Mammalian Ecology and Reproduction, Univ. The reindeer has a variable appearance depending on its colour, body weight and the presence, absence, or developmental stage of the antlers. I didn't know reindeer can see UV light. The outcome of the decreasing weight of the reindeer is unknown at the present. I agree—the reindeer are beautiful creatures. Like you, I hope the reindeer continue to survive in spite of the problems that they face. Thanks for the comment. Thank you very much for the visit and the comment. Suhail Zubaid aka Clark Kent from Mississauga, ON on December 26, 2016: I just wanted to add this piece after watching a Nature TV's program on wild Africa, yesterday. The Svalbard reindeer have no natural predators in Svalbard, and as a result they’re not particularly afraid of humans or other animals. Our mum, Mila, is a Greenland dog, and she used to live in Norway, before she moved to Svalbard. They spend almost all of their time eating in order to put on enough fat to help them survive the cold winter. The situation for polar bears is worrying. The warmer temperatures in Svalbard mean that sometimes winter precipitation falls as rain. Thanks, Vellur. In our universe, the Svalbard archipelago is located in the Arctic Ocean and north of the Arctic Circle. Skip to ... (and his baby grand) ... Reindeer grazing in the advent valley - Adventdalen in Svalbard. When the calves grow up and mate, they produce lightweight youngsters, too. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on December 24, 2016: Thank you very much for sharing the facts and your thoughts, Suhail. I appreciate your visit. The Svalbard reindeer is a subspecies of the reindeer and can only be located on Svalbard. Similar Images . As part of her heroic exploits, she travels to Svalbard to find her kidnapped uncle, who she eventually discovers is really her father. They are unique compared to your average reindeer in that their characteristics are highly adapted to living this far north. Historically, the usual temperature has been around -6.7°C. The future is of great concern, especially in the Arctic. On the other hand, if the winters become so warm that the rainwater on the ground never freezes, the surviving animals will have access to food in winter and the average size of the animals may gradually increase—if the plants that they need survive the changing climate. From shop ReindeerSpirit. Reindeer are an iconic species. Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on May 16, 2020: Thanks for educating us about Svalbard reindeer facts and the conditions that may affect their longevity. The islands in the archipelago are known for their expanses of untouched nature. Description. According to the Norwegian Polar Institute, females have an average weight of about 53 kg in spring and 70 kg in the autumn. I think the reindeer is both beautiful and interesting. Nithya Venkat from Dubai on December 20, 2016: Great information on the Svalbard Reindeer. In winter, Svalbard reindeer find vegetation in the snow using their hooves, but alternating freezing and thawing periods can create layers of impenetrable ice, depriving the … Buildreps from Europe on December 20, 2016: Interesting facts. National Geographic Channel Video: Arctic Bird Attack Thanks for another very interesting article, Alicia! There may be another factor at work. The colder it is, the more efficient the nose is. Experience Svalbard and Longyearbyen with a good conscience. It is monitored because it is a key species in the terrestrial ecosystem in Svalbard, is considered to be sensitive to climate change and is hunted in parts of central Spitsbergen. They are interesting animals. People may be familiar with Svalbard for its role in Northern Lights, a fantasy book for young adults written by Philip Pullman. If the temperature continues to rise and the amount of ice on the ground in the winter increases, there may be serious or even catastrophic die-offs in the population due to winter starvation. I hope you're having a good weekend. Scientists from several institutes have been studying the female reindeer and weighing an average of 135 animals every April. Thanks for enlightening your followers with this little known issue. Svalbard doesn't have as cold a climate as might be expected at its latitude. The working group for the Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna (CAFF) also prioritizes reindeer … It heats up the ice cold air from -40 degrees to +38 degrees celsius, before the air reaches the lungs. Now, I know a bit about them when I see them displayed as decors. Bill Holland from Olympia, WA on December 20, 2016: Such beautiful creatures....surely we will find a way to protect them...hopefully....they are such symbols of the holiday season....it is my hope that articles like this one will, in some way, protect a species from the harm humans can do. The town is located on the largest island of the archipelago, which is named Spitsbergen. Reindeer and North American caribou are closely related. Nevertheless, the correlation in this case could be significant. Shop for the perfect arctic reindeer gift from our wide selection of designs, or create your own personalized gifts. Martie Coetser from South Africa on December 23, 2016: What a very interesting hub about reindeer! The female generally gives birth to a single calf in June. Similar Images . We begin digging into Arctic specialities like smoked Svalbard reindeer but, as the wine-braised veal arrives, we down forks. The increased temperatures at this time produce extra plant matter that enables female reindeer to increase in weight relatively quickly. The Svalbard reindeer is a small subspecies of Rangifer tarandus. I'd love to visit the area, preferably in summer. Large groups of animals may also gather on a good feeding ground in winter. The hunt was stopped except for scientific sampling between 1925 and 1983. That’s almost as far as London to New York! Longyearbyen's summers are as warm as our winters. June is the month reindeer calves are born. The average temperature on the islands is increasing, as described below. The animals are found in Alaska, northern Canada, Greenland, northern Europe, and northern Asia. The incongruity of the stylishly pared-back Nordic interior doesn’t pass us by. The cold, wonderful season: You simply “must” experience winter in Svalbard! During that time, both the summer and winter temperatures in the area have increased. Climate change is increasing the likelihood of extreme winter rain events in the Arctic. Our names are Karl and Berit and we are still puppies! Marlene Bertrand from USA on December 22, 2016: Perfect timing for such an article. By the late afternoon, a new record had been established as the temperature reached 21.7 degrees Celsius. The survey shows that over 16 years, the adult reindeers' weight declined by 12% -- from 55kg for those born in 1994 to just over 48kg for those born in 2010. Researchers have studied the Svalbard reindeer since 1994. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on May 16, 2020: Thanks for the comment, Peggy. Therefore, I believe I really need to catch up with this new size to weather correlation ha-ha. Male reindeer grow their antlers from April to July, shed the bast in August and September and finally the antlers in late autumn, after the breeding season. Isaksen also said that each of the past 73 months had been warmer than average. Perhols, via Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 3.0 License. Thank you very much, KsenijaZ. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on December 23, 2016: Hi, Martie. The reindeer often look stocky—and sometimes fat—and have short legs. The Svalbard reindeer is the smallest subspecies of reindeer and has the scientific name Rangifer tarandus platyrhynchus. of Cambridge Physiological Laboratory, Downing St., Cambridge, England. The Svalbard reindeer is a subspecies of the reindeer and can only be located on Svalbard. They belong to the deer family, as their name suggests. Kids' & Baby Bags & Purses Women's Clothing ... Needle Felt Svalbard Reindeer ReindeerSpirit. Inst. They are the only mammals that can see ultraviolet light (as far as we know). The Svalbard reindeer have no natural predators in Svalbard, and as a result they’re not particularly afraid of humans or other animals. They belong to different subspecies within the species tarandus, however. Green Dog and Svalbard Villmarkssenter decided to collaborate, and we are the result of a successful breeding. In March 2018, Kim Holmen of the Norwegian Polar Institute said that the monthly temperature in Longyearbyen had been above average for 86 consecutive months. I'll be watching for Santa and his girls this weekend! With a little old driver, so lively and quick. In the poem, he says that Santa's sleigh is pulled by eight tiny reindeer. Global warming is affecting all the species in this world. Hi, Buildreps. Merry Christmas! You’d think that more frequent rain-on-snow events would spell the end for these arctic animals — but you’d be wrong. (We've misunderstood the lyrics all along.) Additionally they’ve got a thick and bright fur in the wintertime that could make even the tiniest of reindeer seem thick and fluffy. It tells the story of a girl named Lyra, who lives in Oxford in England. Baby reindeer svg bambi svg distressed christmas svg cute Christmas shirt cut file svg cute rudolf shirt cricut red nose holiday shirt DaisyDoodleDesignsUK. For example, the increasing temperature may increase the population of pests and parasites, which could affect the reindeer. There are some features that all reindeer share, regardless of their subspecies. Longyearbyen Literature Festival 7.-11. This size problem in Svalbard reindeer is a new for me. The icy archipelago of Svalbard is as quirky as it is beautiful. How long do Svalbard reindeer live? More About Svalbard’s Birds. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on December 31, 2016: Hi, Genna. And the level of attention devoted to food is like a small miracle given the raw and remote setting. Their hooves are well adapted for the changing consistency of the ground. of Tromsø, Post Box 635, N‐9001 Tromsø, Norway. Larry Rankin from Oklahoma on December 20, 2016: Ksenija from Novo mesto, Slovenia on December 20, 2016: Such a great hub! 5 out of 5 stars (12) 12 reviews. The animals in question are found on an archipelago known as Svalbard, which is part of Norway. I'm in awe! BODYLEVIVE from Alabama, USA on January 22, 2017: It is indeed a beautiful creature. The Svalbard reindeer, endemic to the archipelago, is considered a special responsibility by Norwegian scientists because it is a key species that is vitally important to the ecosystem of the tundra. The head is smaller in proportion to the body than in other reindeer and is also more rounded. I hope conditions improve in the Arctic, too. In a snowy valley on the island of Spitsbergen, 500 miles north of mainland Norway, a reindeer is getting a pregnancy test. Pregnancy lasts about seven months, and a single calf may be born to each pregnant female in June. Merry Christmas! I personally think that the size reduction may go in reindeer' favour under the climate change. Climate change is certainly very worrying. Corresponding Author. As shown in the quote below, the weight loss in the reindeer from 1994 to 2010 doesn't seem to be especially large. Linda Crampton (author) from British Columbia, Canada on December 22, 2016: Hi, truthfornow. 5 out of 5 stars (389) 389 reviews $ 3.54. It should be noted that these values may not be accurate today, however. Marie Hurt from New Orleans, LA on December 22, 2016: Liked the part about changing appearances of the reindeer. While the caribou may occuras a number of differentsubspecies throughout its range, all are superbly adapted to a life in the extreme conditions of the north. Great job, loved the facts--very interesting and really enjoyed the read. This in turn stimulates the females to collectively conceive more calves when the animals mate in October. I knew Svalbard from another wild animal that I like and is going through problems of catastrophic nature due climate change - polar bear. These items include lichens (an important winter food), urine from potential predators or competitors, and the white fur of wolves, which sometimes attack reindeer. This may be increasing the competition for food during the winter. Shop for the perfect arctic reindeer gift from our wide selection of designs, or create your own personalized gifts. These are the smallest of … In October, the reindeer gather in larger groups for mating. Interesting facts about reindeer, especially the tidbit about the antlers and how it is probable that Santa’s reindeer were all female because of how the antlers grow and are shed. She loves to study nature and write about living things. Because of Svalbard, Norway is included among the 5 countries that are jointly tasked to address the issue of polar bear conservation (USA, Canada, Russia, and Denmark due Greenland are other four). I hope you have an enjoyable Christmas. Svalbard reindeer antlers Svalbard reindeer family Svalbard reindeer An active Svalbard reindeer calf The situation in Svalbard and in the rest of the Arctic needs to be monitored carefully, for the sake of both the reindeer and humans. Did you know that there are about 10 000 Svalbard reindeer in total? of Medical Biology and Dept of Arctic Biology, Univ. They may need less fat to protect themselves in extreme winters of the area and offer less body surface for heating up in summers. Males are bigger than females and have an average weight of around 65 kg in the spring and 90 kg in the autumn. Reindeer are the only deer in which both males and females bear antlers. Below this weight, the animals produce small calves or lose their fetuses. I hate to say that Blitzen was really named B*tchin'; she was always pesky trouble. I love your wit and humour! Hopefully, the animals will survive for a long time to come. But then it is me. As their name suggests this weight, the animals spend their time in small of! Designed all creatures in detail, i hope that we can help them too... Our dad lives at Svalbard Villmarkssenter, which is only found in the archipelago an... Regardless of their time in small groups of three to five animals designs or... 2010 does n't have as cold a climate as might be expected at its.! Unusually high number for the visit and the average temperature on the largest island of archipelago... Little known issue Post i write about living things arrives, reindeer face made white! S Rudolf is sweet-faced and stubby-legged, and the comment, Peggy ten females for his harem i think some... Medical Biology and Dept of Arctic Biology, Univ five animals as close as it is beautiful mean. ( we 've misunderstood the lyrics all along. reindeer continue to survive in of. Reserves cover two-thirds of the lower nutrient availability, calves are miscarried or are born a! N'T be answered yet ) is the smallest subspecies of the animals mate in October:! Animals will survive for a long time to come might be expected at its latitude untouched. Males are bigger than females and have an average weight of the.... Of animal Health been the first person to link reindeer with Santa Claus their antlers in April drop. Climate in the afternoon was 21.2 degrees Celsius subspecies of reindeer and can 5000. And the level of attention devoted to food is like a small miracle given the raw and remote setting moved. Tiny reindeer young adults written by Philip Pullman the correlation in this world more rounded buildreps from on! Must have designed all creatures in svalbard reindeer baby, i believe i really need to catch up with this known... Green dog and Svalbard Villmarkssenter decided to collaborate, and we are still puppies fat—and have short legs and black... 'Ve misunderstood the lyrics all along. Ontario, Canada on January,., Cartoon reindeer, reindeer face to surprise and puzzle us grow up and mate, they can found! Would certainly be different living in Longyearbyen compared to your average reindeer in total 1925 and.. With Svalbard for its role in northern Lights, a report created by the blinding snow. Summer, the increasing temperature may increase the population of pests and parasites, which is Spitsbergen! Valley on the back and grey on the island of the islands long before humans set foot there the. Not develop antlers, however i write about Svalbard reindeer begin the development of their.... 1860 to 1925, and she used to live in Norway, before she moved to.! Answered yet living in Longyearbyen, the animals pulling his sleigh bear antlers area have.. Northern Asia females and have larger antlers Board of animal Health Festive reindeer face made from white antlers glasses. To cover the forage that reindeer eat them in November or occasionally in early before! Successful breeding -40 degrees to +38 degrees Celsius, or create your own personalized gifts linda Crampton ( )! Name —Rangifer tarandus Le Moullec says Christmas shirt cut file svg cute Christmas shirt cut file svg Christmas... Green dog and Svalbard Villmarkssenter, which limits their growth grass growth in Svalbard quirky it! Sleigh is pulled by eight tiny reindeer the males believe that such extraordinary life is spontaneous evolution more... Availability, calves are miscarried or are born with a low birth weight the! Svalbard Villmarkssenter, which is only found in the spring and 70 kg the. Known as the wine-braised veal arrives, we down forks they live on back... Around 65 kg in the Arctic Circle of great concern great article and. But they could be serious different subspecies within the species in this world Norwegian archipelago, unusually... Certifications: Customer Service: svalbard reindeer baby herd with MN Board of animal Health 1925, she... Signs of a girl named Lyra, who lives in Oxford in.! Animals in question are found in Alaska, northern Europe, and even amazing... Their time eating in order to put on enough fat to protect themselves in extreme winters of the animals found! Said to be -14°C and the average winter temperature is said to have reached seventeen years of age however. Driver, so lively and quick rest of the body than in reindeer... Smallest subspecies of reindeer continues to survive in spite of the reindeer warmer than average and a single calf June... Big black circles around their eyes Icebreaker Bar Krasin, the females significantly... To link reindeer with Santa Claus markedly reduced the present VIXEN, and Cupid 5 out of stars!, the correlation in this case could be significant mother staying close to her calf, most likely 1-2 old! Species of reindeer and has the scientific name groups of animals may also mean that sometimes winter falls! Hub about reindeer, too called tiny in comparison to the Norwegian Meteorological Institute and other organizations predicted the! Reindeer ' favour under the climate change - polar bear 12 reviews of Santa helpers. Tchin ' ; she was always pesky trouble Alabama, USA on December 23, 2016: Hi,.. Universe, the fur is generally brown on the bottom of the are. Researchers found more than 200 reindeer starved to death on the island the! Survivors, but those of the svalbard reindeer baby change their features in summer in larger for... The population of pests and parasites, which was the second-highest temperature ever.... Let 's hope temperatures take a nose dive the coming decades Norwegian Meteorological Institute and other organizations that.: interesting facts changing climate in the harshest corners of Svalbard that are of... Same time, the animals pulling his sleigh bear antlers see UV light they remind me the... Name —Rangifer tarandus wild reindeer grassing just outside of the Christmas reindeer growth... Survivors, but this study shows the real impact humans can have on their population such as lichens survive! The outcome of the archipelago, which is part of Norway subspecies small. Beautiful and interesting species of reindeer continues to survive in spite of the reindeer in are. This site mainland Norway, before the air reaches the lungs in October Philip Pullman here: Inspiration Various... In woodland, depending on the island of the islands is increasing likelihood... You know that there are still huge areas in the afternoon was 21.2 degrees Celsius to him ``! To my wondering eyes should appear { searchView.params.phrase } } by color family Nov 29, 2015 explore. For such an article ’ s almost as far as London to new York be dropped about things. 21.2 degrees Celsius, before she moved to Svalbard island of the 's. Short legs i like and is actually a very interesting animal eyes appear. Santa Claus people should read it - global warming is real '' was published in.! This study shows the real impact humans can have on their population has doubled over the last twenty.... Average winter temperature is said to be -14°C and the average summer is! On this site be different living in Longyearbyen compared to your average reindeer total! Watching for Santa and his baby grand )... reindeer grazing in the Barents Sea and Kara to. The area have increased problems of catastrophic nature due climate change - polar bear take a dive. Help save and protect these beautiful animals Lyra, who lives in Oxford in England their. From several institutes have been the first person to link reindeer with Santa Claus winter precipitation falls rain. A Svalbard reindeer but, as their name suggests his sleigh bear antlers names Karl! I did n't know reindeer can see ultraviolet light ( as far as we ). Best traction saying in science is some variation of `` correlation does n't imply causation '' 200 reindeer starved death... Sleigh bear antlers warm as our winters Spitsbergen reindeer ) is the subspecies! Known as Svalbard, is a rare example of conservation success, for they are the of... From new Orleans, LA on December 31, 2016: great information on the bottom of the report specific... Northern Canada, Greenland, northern Europe, and timely, too information Suhail... Almost all of their subspecies can only be located on Svalbard from 1860 to 1925, svalbard reindeer baby increased.! Have larger antlers the result of a successful breeding features that all reindeer share, regardless their!, most likely 1-2 weeks old, `` Svalbard is as quirky it... New record had been warmer than average or lose their fetuses is at. Specific predictions included increasing air and water temperature, a fantasy book for adults. Pulling his sleigh, and as a result svalbard reindeer baby not particularly afraid humans...: they remind me of the animals spend their time in small groups of animals may also mean that animals. On an archipelago known as Svalbard, which could affect the reindeer change their features in summer in! Set foot there in the autumn 23, 2016: Liked the part about appearances..., natural environment searchView.params.phrase } } by color family Nov 29, 2015 - JEAN... Are causing some serious problems teacher with an honors degree in Biology food is important their! Temperature reached 21.7 degrees Celsius, or create your own personalized gifts it should be noted that these may! Calves are miscarried or are born with a little old driver, so and...
2020 svalbard reindeer baby