A 50-pound test, 5 to 6 foot leader with a barrel swivel is a must as well since Cobia have a bad habit of twisting line. The squid’s tentacles dance behind the jig. It beats running the boat offshore with no bait. by Captain David M Rieumont 12.2k Views. Aside from bait, the fish finder plays an important role as well. Contact, . Login. If I could catch cobia by driving around the bay at 10 knots, to hell with chumming! As a side note, one of the marinas in Port O’Connor has been saving their biggest pinfish for a local offshore charterboat, whose captain uses them for cobia, kingfish and big snapper. Catching Cobia in the Summer. This tiny baitfish, best used on flounder back in the bays, promptly drove the cobia crazy. google_ad_width = 468; A quick rundown on other cobia baits: Old-timers favored using hardhead catfish for cobia bait, though I’ve never tried it. The most important factor is the bait—if it shows up early the cobia won’t be far behind. A circling cobia grabbed our last ribbonfish, and we were duty-bound to land and release that fish, without leaving hooks and wire leader attached to him. Just remember, those puppies bite. Light tackle means a long battle and some lost fish, but if you prefer to get most of your fish to … If the jig sinks deep, it tempts these fish at mid-depth, drawing them to the surface. google_ad_client = "ca-pub-8270553620784211"; The choice seemed obvious. That list often surprises a lot of keen cobia anglers, but over the years these baits have proven themselves above all others. Bucktails come in many different colors and sizes. Also commonly known as pogies, huge schools of these shad can be found just outside the surf. Rig them with two hooks spaced a foot apart and toss them out weightless behind those anchored shrimpboats. //--> During one August kingfish tournament, we were ready to return to Galveston after three days in a 21-foot boat. google_ad_height = 60; One calm day we were a few miles off the beach in a jonboat, fishing a platform visible from land. However, it wouldn’t touch anything with a hook attached. Their tails are fork like with the upper tail lobe growing longer than the lower and dorsal fins that are similar in shape and appearance to that of a shark. “Cut off the fins so they can’t lock them up when the cobia eats. Another popular fish, the cobia is an aggressive fish that tends to strike both live bait, as well as lures. Snook They are also some of the best table fare you will ever find. Welcome to Tweed Bait we are 100% family owned & operated Australian company. It also puts out a very strong feeling of fighting for its life, something no lure or artificial bait can duplicate. Tipped with a strip of natural bait such as squid, a tiny crab, eel or menhaden. In areas like the Florida Panhandle where the Cobia fishing is really popular a lot of anglers make their own Cobia jigs, not all of us artistically inclined so you can always contact a custom jig maker to make some for you. The best way to catch cobia is by using sight casting with bucktails as they move along the East Coast. So, don’t be caught without your lures and rigs ready to go. Here are the top live baits for cobia fising. I’ve mentioned before what a great bait this is for many offshore fish. They can be chunked on a cutting board, which I’ve done for hours, or ground up into mush. Home  Cobia. Sight fishing for Cobia is one if the most productive fishing methods whether you are using artificial baits or lures. google_ad_slot = "7031434267"; Or so say anglers from back in the 1950s and 60s. If a cobia is idling in the boat’s shade, it should come out to investigate or better yet chow down on a free meal. google_ad_client = "ca-pub-8270553620784211"; Take a fresh, lively mullet and pierce its heart cavity with a knife or other sharp instrument, and then throw it out in front of the cobia. They’re about 18 inches long and, when lip-hooked and tossed in front of passing cobia, get slurped like spaghetti. Quickly transferred to a casting rod with 40-pound line, I lobbed it out there, where the baitfish promptly dove, pursued by several big cobia. Also purchased as pure oil, which can be slow-dripped overboard, creating an oil slick that calls up all sorts of offshore critters. The sardine is softer, even mushy, but if that’s all the marina has, several five-pound frozen boxes may be the only choice. They are quite picky eaters sometimes but would bite pinfish, which is why they make good bait for the cobia. The Cobia’s diet mainly consists of crabs though they also feed on eels, shrimps, clams, squids, and smaller fishes. 10 Cobia Tips and Tricks. Stop the boat at the shrimpboat’s stern, and idle or cut off your boat’s engines, drifting away with multiple baited hooks in the water. In Sabine Pass, we’d buy hundred-pound boxes of flash-frozen pogies, which lasted three days offshore. mean they’ve been dumping bycatch in that one spot, chumming up all sorts off offshore predators.  About   Natural Best Cobia Bait. Cigar minnows and Spanish sardines. Or pinch, anyway. I titled this response "What is the best landing net?" What’s On the Line: Cobia. Natural Baits for Cobia. Red Drum: the best rig for this would be a spider weight attached to a 4-5 foot leader and 3/0 - 5/0 hook depending on the size of your bait. I am going on a holiday to Ah Fatt Kelong in Malaysia and i have heard that there are many Cobia out there. Articles   Hand-size pinners are best for casting distance and offer a larger profile. google_ad_client = "ca-pub-8270553620784211"; “Hardheads work!” Captain Ricky says. On the last day, however, we had no cobia. Squid. We collect information from you when you register on our site, place an order... READ MORE. google_ad_slot = "7754947861"; Damon has been fishing for bluefish and caught small Cobia which inspired him to make his own baits (before discovering the Hogy Perfect Tubes) to target the large Cobia under the bait balls. I’ve seen that boat unload a lot of big fish. //-->, ,